Working in partnership

Notifiable electrical work

The Building Regulations set out overall criteria and requirements to ensure electrical safety in and around dwellings. Approved Document P provides further practical guidance for undertaking this type of work. You should bear in mind that any electrical work you carry out within your home, garden, garage shed and other storage buildings may need to comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations. These works are called notifiable work. Image of wiring in plug

Very common examples of notifiable work are; rewiring a property, providing electricity to a garage or outhouse, the replacement of the main fuse box in a house or any electrical work in a kitchen, shower room or bathroom.


·         Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes External Hyperlink/

·         General guidance - For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats External Hyperlink

Non-notifiable work

The Building Regulations allow certain works (known as non-notifiable or minor work) to be carried out without having to notify building control or using a registered electrician. Such work includes:
Replacing any electrical fitting (for example, socket outlets, light fittings, control switches)

Minor electrical work can also present a risk to safety. If qualified electricians carry out the work they should give you a Minor Works Certificate which means that they have tested to work to make sure it is safe. If you do the work yourself you may wish to engage a qualified electrician to check it for you.

Find a registered electrician - click here - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS Schemes  External Hyperlink


If you are unsure about whether you are required to comply you may wish to contact us to discuss.

All electrical work should follow the safety standards in BS 7671 (the 'wiring regulations')

These rules have been introduced to help reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty installations.

The Building Regulations only set standards for electrical installation work in relation to dwellings (houses, flats etc). If the work is carried out in industrial or commercial buildings it is covered by the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for making sure that electrical installation work in these kinds of buildings is safe and if you have any queries about work in these buildings you should contact HSE.

The Building Regulations do not restrict who may carry out electrical installation work. If you want to do the work yourself you should make sure that you know what you need to do before starting any works. There are a number of reputable guides that you can use to help you.
The Building Regulations do not set standards for the safety of electrical appliances such as fridges and washing machines but they do require that fixed connections of appliances are safe.

For general guidance click here - for general advice, guidance and imformation in easy to understand formats  External Hyperlink

Notification of work and checking for safety

Where electrical work associated with a dwelling is classed as notifiable under The Building Regulations, it should be checked to make sure that it is safe. This checking can be done in either of two ways: by using an electrician registered with a competent person scheme or by submitting a Building Regulation application to a building control body.

Competent Person Schemes

In relation to electrical safety this means that an electrician who is registered by an organisation authorised by the Secretary of State and is able to certify the work carried out is safe, without you having to notify Building Control. Once works are complete the electrician will arrange for you to receive a building regulations compliance certificate within 30 days of the completion of the work. Your local authority will then also be notified about the work for their records.

The competent person should also provide you with a completed Electrical Installation Certificate which shows that the work was tested for safety.

It is advisable to ask the electrician to provide information about which scheme they belong to and their membership number. You will then be able check with the organisation to make sure they are registered. Listed below are the organisations which run the competent person schemes for electrical installation work:

Building Control Partnership

You should make a Building notice submission to us if the electrician you employ to carry out the works is not registered as a competent person under the schemes mentioned above or if you do the work yourself. Please contact us before you start the work and we can advise you of the procedures to follow. We will also advise you on the areas we will need to inspect and the requirements for testing.

To Submit the Building Notice for electrical work

To submit the Building Notice for electrical work, please complete Building Notice application form and return with the appropriate charge payment and details of the electrical work you wish to undertake. Please see charges below for any additional detail that may be required.

Electronic Submission of a Building notice

Alternatively, follow this link if you wish to make an Electronic application & plan submission


A Building notice submission for Notifiable electrical work is subject to a charge, please see the table 2 of the Building Control Charges leaflet for more details.
Please note that there are two level of charging which depend on the qualifications and experience of the person carrying out and testing the installation. Full proof of electrical qualifications, testing qualifications and experience will need to be provided to us in support of any Building Notice submitted using the lower charge level.

Payment by Cheque
For both Gosport and Fareham Building Notice submissions, please make your cheques payable to 'Fareham Borough Council'.

Paying Online
Please determine to required charge required and follow this link to make a payment online

Related links:
The Building Act 1984 and the Building Regulations (CLG)


Please also by useful information by clicking here - LABC  External Hyperlink


Fareham Borough Council Gosport Borough Council Portsmouth City Council
bsi ISO 9001 RICS