Working in partnership

Making a Building Regulation Application

Most alterations and refurbishment of existing buildings - as well as new buildings - will require an application for Building Regulations approval. If you have any doubt as to whether or not an application is required. For more information please contact us.

Where the Building Regulations impose requirements, it is illegal to commence work without submitting the necessary application or notice to the relevant Local authority.

Once you have given a Building Notice or submitted Full Plans to us, you can start work at any time provided that you have obtained Planning Permission or ascertained that it is not required. If you start work before the Building Regulation approval is issued, we will inspect in the normal way but all work carried out prior to approval will be at your own risk.

Gaining Building Regulations approval does not mean that you have been granted approval under the Town and Country Planning Act. You are advised to contact Development control if you have any doubt as to whether a planning application is required.

To speed up the application process, the facility to apply online is available. To do this, you will need electronic copies of any plans you have prepared for your scheme. Please follow this link for more information about electronic application & plan submission. Alternatively, application forms are available to download and print for postal applications.

This route is available for all type of work. A Full Plans submission comprises the application form and copies of the information and plans showing the extent of the proposals in sufficient detail to demonstrate compliance with the regulations, together with appropriate payment.

This is a simplified way of notifying us of a building project and is most suitable for minor alteration works.

The Building Notice route is generally not available for work affecting buildings that will be places of work (offices, shops, hotels, and factories), or where the proposal will affect a Public sewer or where it involves the erection of a building fronting onto a private street.

The Building Notice submission will include details and a description of the proposals, together with appropriate payment which is payable in full at the time of the application.

If you wish to replace windows or doors in a domestic property

If you wish to carry out electrical works inside or outside of your house

Regularisation applications are available for unauthorised work carried out since November 1985.

There are competent person schemes in operation covering


Fareham Borough Council Gosport Borough Council Portsmouth City Council
bsi ISO 9001 RICS